"How do i...?" fra MM group
Fra : Michael Peo

Dato : 12-09-01 01:46

Here are the top "How do I?" questions that seem to be asked over
and over in the Flash forum. Most of the answers may be found in
TechNotes at www.macromedia.com/support/flash by typing keywords
into the
search engine.

Here's a list of topics discussed below:

1)How do I detect if the user has the Flash player?
2)How do I manipulate browser windows from Flash?
3)How do I pass data to and from files, scripts or databases?
4)How do I make my Flash movie load or play faster?
5)How do I pre-load part or all of a movie before it runs?
6)How do I embed video such as QuickTime or AVI in Flash?
7)How do I make a transparent gradient fill?
8)Why do imported photos and bitmaps sometimes look distorted?
9)How do I make a drop-down menu in Flash?
10)How do I send email, or send forms, using Flash?

In addition, here is a link to a list of other popular TechNotes
about
ActionScript techniques at the Macromedia site:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/action_scripts.html

Also, here's list of links to third-party sites with Flash
tutorials
and downloadable FLA examples, as well as discussions about Flash
in
general:

www.macromedia.com/go/12046

If you are having technical difficulties such as crashing, first
review
the following troubleshooting notes, and if they aren't helpful,
contact tech support through the information given with your
product
registration.

Macintosh troubleshooting:www.macromedia.com/go/03500
Windows Troubleshooting:www.macromedia.com/go/14776

------
1)HOW DO I DETECT IF THE USER HAS THE FLASH PLAYER?
------
There are methods of detecting Flash that involve scripting, and
some
methods that can rely solely on Flash alone.

Macromedia offers a free detection kit called the "Flash
Deployment
Kit" which may be downloaded from:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/download

For an overview of Flash detection schemes, visit:

www.moock.org/webdesign/flash

------
2:HOW DO I MANIPULATE BROWSER WINDOWS FROM FLASH?
------
If you wish to do "pop-up" menus, or change the size or
properties of
browser windows, you may do so by sending messages from Flash to
JavaScript. It's not to difficult and this TechNote tell you
how:

www.macromedia.com/go/14192

For tips on controlling HTML framesets from Flash, go to our
support
site at www.macromedia.com/support/flash and type the word
"frameset" in
the search box. (Some of the diagrams may be from earlier
versions of
Flash, but the principles are the same - all are based on using
the
GetURL action with named frames.)

Here's how to control one Flash movie from another on the same
page,
using JavaScript:

www.polar-lights.com/en

------
3: HOW DO I SEND VARIABLES IN AND OUT OF FLASH?
------
Flash can receive data from a specially formatted text file, and
can
pass data to and from a script. The basics are in this tech note:

www.macromedia.com/go/14253

For an overview of using Flash with a database:

www.macromedia.com/go/14482

While Flash cannot directly save data to a server, it can pass
data to
a script, which in turn does so:

www.polar-lights.com/en

------
4: HOW DO I MAKE MY FLASH MOVIE LOAD OR PLAY FASTER?
------
Smaller files load faster. Frame rate is dependent to some
extent on
the user's processor, but there are things you can do to assure
optimum
performance for all your viewers. Tips on optimizing your Flash
movie
may be found in this article:

www.macromedia.com/go/12085

------
5: How do I pre-load part or all of a movie before it runs?
------
The idea of a "preloader" is to loop between a couple of frames
until
enough of the movie is loaded, to ensure smooth streaming.

The basic principle is discussed in this TechNote:

www.macromedia.com/go/12588

If you don't feel like writing your own pre-loader, you may
download
free "plug 'n' play" smart clips from The Flash Exchange:

http://www.macromedia.com/exchange/flash

There also a number of other preloaders available at

http://www.flashkit.com

------
6: HOW DO I EMBED VIDEO LIKE QUICKTIME OR AVI IN FLASH?
------
While Flash has the ability to export content to the QuickTime
format
(.MOV files,) some folks assume that you can embed QuickTime in
Flash.
There is no ability to embed video of any kind in Flash. You
can,
however, simulate video by bringing in a series of bitmaps -
here's
how:

www.macromedia.com/go/14111

There are a number of related articles which you can access if
you go
to our support site at www.macromedia.com/support/flash and type
the
word "video" in the search box.

------
7: HOW DO I MAKE A TRANSPARENT GRADIENT FILL?
------
We get asked that a lot! Here's the tech note:

www.macromedia.com/go/14766

------
8: Why do imported photos and bitmaps sometimes look distorted?
------
Whether in Flash or not, scaling bitmaps distorts them. There
are ways
you can improve the look of your bitmapped images:

www.macromedia.com/go/15116

Bitmaps can shift in Flash; here are some suggestions:

www.macromedia.com/go/15256

Rotating a bitmap may distort it; here's a workaround:

www.macromedia.com/go/15256

------
9: HOW DO I MAKE A DROP-DOWN MENU IN FLASH?
------
Drop-down menus, also referred to as "pop up" menus, can seem a
little
complex the first couple of times you try to make them. Here's a
step-
by-step example:

www.macromedia.com/go/13363

More tutorials on all kinds of variations of these menus may be
found
at

http://www.flashkit.com

The Flash Exchange has some ready-made menu systems you can
download
for free. Be sure to read the instructions that come with them!

http://www.macromedia.com/exchange/flash

------
10: HOW DO I SEND EMAIL, OR SEND FORMS, USING FLASH?
------
For a basic overview of forms in Flash, this TechNote should be
helpful:

www.macromedia.com/go/13919

To send email via the user's default mail program:

www.macromedia.com/go/14072

An example of sending mail through a re-mailer is presented here:

www.macromedia.com/go/13919

------

--
/peo