Mysterious red cells might be aliens
Fra : Jan Rasmussen

Dato : 03-06-06 08:45

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/02/red.rain/index.html

As bizarre as it may seem, the sample jars brimming with cloudy,
reddish rainwater in Godfrey Louis's laboratory in southern India
may hold, well, aliens.

In April, Louis, a solid-state physicist at Mahatma Gandhi University,
published a paper in the prestigious peer-reviewed journal Astrophysics
and Space Science in which he hypothesizes that the samples -- water
taken from the mysterious blood-colored showers that fell sporadically
across Louis's home state of Kerala in the summer of 2001 -- contain
microbes from outer space. Specifically, Louis has isolated strange,
thick-walled, red-tinted cell-like structures about 10 microns in size.
Stranger still, dozens of his experiments suggest that the particles may
lack DNA yet still reproduce plentifully, even in water superheated to
nearly 600 degrees Fahrenheit . (The known upper limit for life in water
is about 250 degrees Fahrenheit .)

So how to explain them? Louis speculates that the particles could be
extraterrestrial bacteria adapted to the harsh conditions of space and
that the microbes hitched a ride on a comet or meteorite that later broke
apart in the upper atmosphere and mixed with rain clouds above India.

If his theory proves correct, the cells would be the first confirmed
evidence of alien life and, as such, could yield tantalizing new clues
to the origins of life on Earth.

Last winter, Louis sent some of his samples to astronomer Chandra
Wickramasinghe and his colleagues at Cardiff University in Wales,
who are now attempting to replicate his experiments; Wickramasinghe
expects to publish his initial findings later this year. Meanwhile, more
down-to-earth theories abound. One Indian government investigation
conducted in 2001 lays blame for what some have called the "blood rains" on algae.

Other theories have implicated fungal spores, red dust swept up from
the Arabian peninsula, even a fine mist of blood cells produced by a
meteor striking a high-flying flock of bats.

Louis and his colleagues dismiss all these theories, pointing to the fact that
both algae and fungus possess DNA and that blood cells have thin walls
and die quickly when exposed to water and air.

More important, they argue, blood cells don't replicate. "We've already got
some stunning pictures -- transmission electron micrographs -- of these cells
sliced in the middle," Wickramasinghe says.
"We see them budding, with little daughter cells inside the big cells."
Louis's theory holds special appeal for Wickramasinghe. A quarter of a century ago,
he co-authored the modern theory of panspermia, which posits that bacteria-riddled
space rocks seeded life on Earth.

"If it's true that life was introduced by comets four billion years ago," the astronomer says,
"one would expect that microorganisms are still injected into our environment from time to time.
This could be one of those events." The next significant step, explains University of Sheffield
microbiologist Milton Wainwright, who is part of another British team now studying Louis's
samples, is to confirm whether the cells truly lack DNA. So far, one preliminary DNA test
has come back positive. "Life as we know it must contain DNA, or it's not life," he says.
"But even if this organism proves to be an anomaly, the absence of DNA wouldn't necessarily
mean it's extraterrestrial."

Louis and Wickramasinghe are planning further experiments to test the cells for specific
carbon isotopes. If the results fall outside the norms for life on Earth, it would be powerful
new evidence for Louis's idea, of which even Louis himself remains skeptical.

Jan Rasmussen

Fra : Glenn Møller-Holst

Dato : 03-06-06 10:26

Hej Jan

Kun hvis cellerne indeholder et interstellart kort, kan vi regne med at
det er "aliens".

Man bør nok starte med at undersøge hvad det er og formode at de er af
jordisk oprindelse. Når eller hvis man ikke kan finde et jordisk
organisk slægtskab eller andre jordiske forklaringer kan man søge mere
eksotiske forklaringer:

ANALYSIS OF RED RAIN OF KERALA:
http://www.astrobiology.cf.ac.uk/redrain.html
Citat: "...High resolution electron microscopy has revealed internal
structures as well as evidence of a replication cycle not commonly found
in either bacteria or yeasts. These images are of thin cell slices
viewed in the transmission electron microscope..."

31 March 2006 It is looking increasingly unlikely that the red particles
in rain that fell over southern India in 2001 are alien microbes, but
their identity remains a mystery:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19025453.100.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rain_in_Kerala

-

The Red Rain Phenomenon of Kerala and its Possible Extraterrestrial Origin
http://springerlink.metapress.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s10509-005-9025-4

The red rain phenomenon of Kerala and its possible extraterrestrial origin
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0601022

Home Page of Dr. Godfrey Louis
RED RAIN OF KERALA
http://education.vsnl.com/godfrey/

mvh/Glenn

Fra : Glenn Møller-Holst

Dato : 03-06-06 11:16

Hej Jan

Bare for informationens skyld - nogle gange regner det diverse dyr:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raining_animals
Citat: "...Once trapped in the winds, the animals can travel over long
distances or be transported to the higher parts of the troposphere or
even the stratosphere before being dropped in the form of rain..."

Og man vil vel ikke kalde dem for alien-frøer? Eller vil man?

Lille liste over fiskeregn i nyere tid - fra wikipedia artiklen:
*Wiltshire, May 2001
*Knighton, Powys, Wales, August 18, 2004
*India, Ranchi, July 1997
*India, Paravur, May 2006

Lille liste over tudse- og frøregn i nyere tid - fra wikipedia artiklen:
*Villa Angel Flores, Mexico, June 1997
*Croydon, London, March 1998
*Odžaci, Serbia, July 3, 2005

Andre eksempler:
*An unidentified animal fell in California ripped to tiny pieces of meat
on August 1, 1869; a similar incident was reported in Bath County,
Kentucky in 1876. [Mon det var en alien?].
*Jellyfish [gobler] fell from the sky in Bath in 1894.
*A turtle [skildpadde] enclosed in ice dropped from the sky in
Vicksburg, USA in 1930

Gud ved hvor udtrykket:
"Raining Cats and Dogs"
kommer fra?

mvh/Glenn

Fra : Glenn Møller-Holst

Dato : 03-06-06 11:36

Glenn Møller-Holst wrote:
> Hej Jan
>
> Bare for informationens skyld - nogle gange regner det diverse dyr:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raining_animals
> Citat: "...Once trapped in the winds, the animals can travel over long
> distances or be transported to the higher parts of the troposphere or
> even the stratosphere before being dropped in the form of rain..."
> mvh/Glenn

PS:

Stratosfæren er i mellem 7/17 - 50 km højde:

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordens_atmosf%C3%A6re

mvh/Glenn

Fra : Martin Larsen

Dato : 03-06-06 14:58

Glenn Møller-Holst fortalte:

> Gud ved hvor udtrykket:
> "Raining Cats and Dogs"
> kommer fra?

Det stammer fra ca 1650. Præcis hvad det hentyder til vides ikke -
muligvis kadaverer der flyder i rendestenen.

Mvh
Martin
--
Malum quidem nullum esse sine aliquo bono

Fra : Niels

Dato : 03-06-06 15:04

> Og man vil vel ikke kalde dem for alien-frøer? Eller vil man?

Nu vil man jo ikke kalde de røde celler for udenjordiske (hvilket vel er
hvad man mener med "alien", som reelt bare betyder fremmed) fordi de er
kommet med regnen, men fordi de ifølge OP's citater tilsyneladende adskilder
sig fra kendte celler her på Jorden.