ID help please 6
Fra : Beng Bengsson

Dato : 23-05-05 17:52

Fra : Bob Watkinson

Dato : 23-05-05 18:02

Fra : Beng Bengsson

Dato : 23-05-05 18:06

> news:Xns965FBFE26C80Bxnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4...
>> Hi.
>>
>> Not TOO bad pictures this time.
>>
>> My guess=Not a clue !!
>>
>> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id5/6.htm
>>

>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> //Ben
>
> Knot, or maybe knot

Hmm.. or maybe Purple Sandpiper? noo.. too long legs.. but there are a few
others it could be ??

//Ben

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 23-05-05 18:50

Beng Bengsson wrote:
> "Bob Watkinson" <clodhopper@bobwatkinson.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in
>

>> "Beng Bengsson" <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Not TOO bad pictures this time.
>>>
>>> My guess=Not a clue !!
>>>
>>> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id5/6.htm
>>>

>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> //Ben
>>
>> Knot, or maybe knot
>>

> Hmm.. or maybe Purple Sandpiper? noo.. too long legs.. but there are
> a few others it could be ??
>

> //Ben

Not Knot and absolutely not Purple Sandpiber.
Some kind of sandpiber (Tringa) ?? Picture quality not to well.
Where and when was the photos taken ?

Mikkel

Fra : Beng Bengsson

Dato : 23-05-05 19:04

"Jens Mikkel Lausten" <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote in

> Beng Bengsson wrote:
>> "Bob Watkinson" <clodhopper@bobwatkinson.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in
>>

>>> "Beng Bengsson" <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote in message

>>> Knot, or maybe knot
>>>

>> Hmm.. or maybe Purple Sandpiper? noo.. too long legs.. but there are
>> a few others it could be ??
>>

>> //Ben
>
> Not Knot and absolutely not Purple Sandpiber.
> Some kind of sandpiber (Tringa) ?? Picture quality not to well.
> Where and when was the photos taken ?
>
> Mikkel

All photos taken in north of Sweden (Kiruna). Yes, some kind of
Sandpiper sounds possible..

//Ben

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 23-05-05 21:18

Beng Bengsson wrote:

> All photos taken in north of Sweden (Kiruna). Yes, some kind of
> Sandpiper sounds possible..
>
> //Ben

If I were guessing, and I am, I would say that the front bird is a
Common Sandpiper and the middle bird is a Wood Sandpiper. Reasons,
front bird has pale whitish underparts but a cut-off between those and
the breast which is a large bib. And the middle bird appears slighlty
speckled and has a broad supercilium and darker stripe through the
eye.

The bird at the back is obviously a MEGA rarity. I just can't figure
out which one

But it's really not that good a photo. It's a bit blurry and dark.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : Beng Bengsson

Dato : 23-05-05 21:34

"Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in news:42923a98$0$79466
$14726298@news.sunsite.dk:

> Beng Bengsson wrote:
>
>> All photos taken in north of Sweden (Kiruna). Yes, some kind of
>> Sandpiper sounds possible..
>>
>> //Ben
>
> If I were guessing, and I am, I would say that the front bird is a
> Common Sandpiper and the middle bird is a Wood Sandpiper. Reasons,
> front bird has pale whitish underparts but a cut-off between those and
> the breast which is a large bib. And the middle bird appears slighlty
> speckled and has a broad supercilium and darker stripe through the
> eye.
>
> The bird at the back is obviously a MEGA rarity. I just can't figure
> out which one
>
> But it's really not that good a photo. It's a bit blurry and dark.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil

Hmm.. but all birds were together.. 3 diffrent kinds together ? nah ?

//Ben

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 23-05-05 22:13

Beng Bengsson wrote:
> "Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in
> news:42923a98$0$79466 $14726298@news.sunsite.dk:
>
>> Beng Bengsson wrote:
>>
>>> All photos taken in north of Sweden (Kiruna). Yes, some kind of
>>> Sandpiper sounds possible..
>>>
>>> //Ben
>>
>> If I were guessing, and I am, I would say that the front bird is a
>> Common Sandpiper and the middle bird is a Wood Sandpiper. Reasons,
>> front bird has pale whitish underparts but a cut-off between those
>> and the breast which is a large bib. And the middle bird appears
>> slighlty speckled and has a broad supercilium and darker stripe
>> through the eye.
>>
>> The bird at the back is obviously a MEGA rarity. I just can't
>> figure
>> out which one
>>
>> But it's really not that good a photo. It's a bit blurry and dark.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Phil
>>

> Hmm.. but all birds were together.. 3 diffrent kinds together ? nah
> ?

I've seen up to 7 or 8 types of wader all mixed in together. It's not
unusual. Wood sandpiper are not usually so much out in the open, but
they can be sometimes.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 23-05-05 22:17

Beng Bengsson wrote:
> "Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in
> news:42923a98$0$79466 $14726298@news.sunsite.dk:
>
>> Beng Bengsson wrote:
>>
>>> All photos taken in north of Sweden (Kiruna). Yes, some kind of
>>> Sandpiper sounds possible..
>>>
>>> //Ben
>>
>> If I were guessing, and I am, I would say that the front bird is a
>> Common Sandpiper and the middle bird is a Wood Sandpiper. Reasons,
>> front bird has pale whitish underparts but a cut-off between those
>> and the breast which is a large bib. And the middle bird appears
>> slighlty speckled and has a broad supercilium and darker stripe
>> through the eye.
>>
>> The bird at the back is obviously a MEGA rarity. I just can't figure
>> out which one
>>
>> But it's really not that good a photo. It's a bit blurry and dark.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Phil
>>

> Hmm.. but all birds were together.. 3 diffrent kinds together ? nah ?

I just found that the were more than one picture no. 6
I think the are all Wood Sandpipers (Tringa glareola).

Mikkel

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 23-05-05 22:25

Jens Mikkel Lausten wrote:
> I just found that the were more than one picture no. 6
> I think the are all Wood Sandpipers (Tringa glareola).

I think that's more than likely. I just had another look and the front
bird has a supecilium too.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : Beng Bengsson

Dato : 24-05-05 10:11

"Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in news:42924a3c$0$79456
$14726298@news.sunsite.dk:

> Jens Mikkel Lausten wrote:
>> I just found that the were more than one picture no. 6
>> I think the are all Wood Sandpipers (Tringa glareola).
>
> I think that's more than likely. I just had another look and the front
> bird has a supecilium too.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil

What is supecilium ?

//Ben

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 24-05-05 10:16

Beng Bengsson wrote:
> "Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in
> news:42924a3c$0$79456 $14726298@news.sunsite.dk:
>
>> Jens Mikkel Lausten wrote:
>>> I just found that the were more than one picture no. 6
>>> I think the are all Wood Sandpipers (Tringa glareola).
>>
>> I think that's more than likely. I just had another look and the
>> front bird has a supecilium too.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Phil
>>

> What is supecilium ?

Supercilium, sorry. My typing is degenerating (like the rest of me).
The stripe above the eye as opposed to the one that goes through the
eye area.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : Beng Bengsson

Dato : 24-05-05 10:24

"Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in news:4292f0d6$0$79454
$14726298@news.sunsite.dk:

> Beng Bengsson wrote:
>> "Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in
>> news:42924a3c$0$79456 $14726298@news.sunsite.dk:

>>> I think that's more than likely. I just had another look and the
>>> front bird has a supecilium too.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>

>> What is supecilium ?
>
> Supercilium, sorry. My typing is degenerating (like the rest of me).
> The stripe above the eye as opposed to the one that goes through the
> eye area.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil

Ok.. but.. maybe some of the birds are Wood Sandpipers.. but it seems to
me that some are NOT..?

//Ben

Fra : Malcolm

Dato : 24-05-05 11:30

In article <Xns96607401035xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
Bengsson <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>"Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in news:4292f0d6$0$79454
>$14726298@news.sunsite.dk:
>
>> Beng Bengsson wrote:
>>> "Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in
>>> news:42924a3c$0$79456 $14726298@news.sunsite.dk:

>>> What is supecilium ?
>>
>> Supercilium, sorry. My typing is degenerating (like the rest of me).
>> The stripe above the eye as opposed to the one that goes through the
>> eye area.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Phil
>>

>Ok.. but.. maybe some of the birds are Wood Sandpipers.. but it seems to
>me that some are NOT..?

It seems to me that all of them are. There's nothing else at all likely
with a long thin and straight bill, thin longish legs and that amount of
mottling on the back, as well as the demarcation between the breast and
the whiter belly. Common Sandpiper, which was suggested, is ruled out by
the patterning on the back.

--
Malcolm

Fra : Beng Bengsson

Dato : 24-05-05 12:32

Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> In article <Xns96607401035xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
> Bengsson <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>"Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in news:4292f0d6$0
$79454
>>$14726298@news.sunsite.dk:

>>> Supercilium, sorry. My typing is degenerating (like the rest of me).
>>> The stripe above the eye as opposed to the one that goes through the
>>> eye area.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>

>>Ok.. but.. maybe some of the birds are Wood Sandpipers.. but it seems
>>me that some are NOT..?
>>
> It seems to me that all of them are. There's nothing else at all
likely
> with a long thin and straight bill, thin longish legs and that amount
of
> mottling on the back, as well as the demarcation between the breast
and
> the whiter belly. Common Sandpiper, which was suggested, is ruled out
by
> the patterning on the back.

Well.. now I've looked at a couple of hundred pics of Wood Sandpipers..
and I have to agree with you..

Thanks !

//Ben

Fra : Klara

Dato : 24-05-05 12:01

In message <4292f0d6$0$79454$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Phil Wilson
<philip.wilson@talk21.com> writes
>Supercilium, sorry. My typing is degenerating (like the rest of me).
>The stripe above the eye as opposed to the one that goes through the
>eye area.

Hey, that's great! So a supercilious person is one with raised eyebrows?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 24-05-05 14:21

Klara wrote:
> In message <4292f0d6$0$79454$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Phil Wilson
> <philip.wilson@talk21.com> writes
>> Supercilium, sorry. My typing is degenerating (like the rest of
>> me).
>> The stripe above the eye as opposed to the one that goes through
>> the
>> eye area.
>
> Hey, that's great! So a supercilious person is one with raised
> eyebrows?

Metaphorically, yes. Possibly literally as well. I've certainly met a
few. Usually it's all of their faces I couldn't stand, so wouldn't
have been concentrating on the eyebrow region.

Cheers,

Phil
--
Nature hangs out a sign of simplicity in the face of a fool. ( Robert
Burton)