How to Help the Little Birds ?????
Fra : Pawel Jozwik

Dato : 01-05-04 17:42

Maybe somone can help me. In some vines that we removed from the back of
our home, there was a swallow's nest. Unfortunately we did not noticed
it in time and pulled it right out toghrther with the vines. There are
four little chicks in it. They are still alive. Is there any way to save
them? Please, please, please help me to help these little chicks?

Pawel

Fra : Margrete Johansen

Dato : 01-05-04 21:12

" Is there any way to save
> them? Please, please, please help me to help these little chicks?
>
> Pawel

Is it possible to replace the nest? Are the parents still searching for the
chicks? How old are they - did they start to set feathers?

If you decide to spoonfeed them, you must use meat, swallows eat insects.

Margrete Johansen

Fra : Pawel Jozwik

Dato : 02-05-04 01:51

Margrete Johansen wrote:
> " Is there any way to save
>
>>them? Please, please, please help me to help these little chicks?
>>
>>Pawel
>

> Is it possible to replace the nest? Are the parents still searching for the
> chicks? How old are they - did they start to set feathers?
>
> If you decide to spoonfeed them, you must use meat, swallows eat insects.
>
> Margrete Johansen

Hi Margrete

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it is not possible to replace
the nest exactly to the same place as it was, because we removed the
vines already.

Actually they are not swallows. At first we thought they were, but it
turned out that it is different kind of bird. My boys say that they are
red robins, and the mother that flies around has sort of red head but I
am not sure, if they are really robins. The mother is roughly of the
size of the swallow.

We put them in together with the nest in a plastic container as the nest
was damaged a little and place it on the table at our back patio, near
to the place the nest originally used to be. The mother comes around
sometimes and does something to the little chicks. We try not to disturb
her to much, but it is difficult to achieve, as we have rather large
family.

I don't know how old are the chicks, but they are already quite big.
They have feathers and their eyes are open. But they can not move by
themselves.

We tried to give them some water and boiled rice. They drank a little,
but the rice got stuck to their beaks.

Can i place the nest on the near by tree? Would the mother find it
there, between the branches?

Can I feed them just with regular meat? And how do I do it?

Pawel

Fra : Margrete Johansen

Dato : 02-05-04 06:49

Can i place the nest on the near by tree? Would the mother find it
> there, between the branches?
>
> Can I feed them just with regular meat? And how do I do it?
>
> Pawel

Do not touch the nest if the mother is still around - stay away......

Do not feed the little birds - it might turn out, that the motherbird accept
the new placement of the nest - but it would be a good idea to be shure that
cats cannot disturb the peace.

Do not feed them with rice - if you decide to feed them (if the mother
dissapeares) feed them with raw meat and a pair of tweezers - beware not to
hurt them!

Margrete Johansen