Opgradering til eCS
Fra : Allan

Dato : 26-04-01 17:07

Nedenstående er nok værd ligge at tygge lidt på for alle - da alle og enhver jo
åbenbart
kan lige nu kan købe en 'opgradering' til eCS for $139, selvom de ikke ejer en Warp 4
i forvejen.

From: "Bob St.John" <BStJohnatSerenity-Systemsdotcom>
Newsgroups: ecomstation.announce
Subject: Update on Pricing (was Re: Deadline for upgrading from Warp4
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 01 09:18:05

My current thinking is to announce that the eCS Upgrade from Warp 4 pricing
will be in effect until the end of July. This will provide users with more
than two months to make the buy decision. On August 1, SRP pricing will go
from $139 .. to $239. The new user price will probably go to an SRP of $339.
There is no physical differnence between these products ... the new user
product inludes a Warp 4 license .. (at $100 more .. not a bad deal).

We will accept request for special bids based on volumes or custom products.
Yes .... a company can request a specific desktop for their use .. including
certain apps or excluding others.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:00:59 +0100, Brian {Hamilton Kelly} wrote:
:>BTW, what proof is required (of having Warp 4)?

I've had this discussion with IBM .. and if you order the IBM OS/2 Warp 4
upgrade product from IBM ... or order SWC (which requires an Warp4 license),
IBM sales people are willing to take the user's word that they meet the
requirement. Same with the Lotus SS 1.6 product .. the upgrade product can be
ordered and they just assume you have the previous SS. I think the issue is,
IBM doesn't anticipate that anyone would move to OS/2 .. so you must have
the license or you wouldn't be asking.

With this in mind, I impose the same standard on our resellers and
distributors. For two reasons. One .. some folks bought OS/2 years ago and
tore off the first page of this for one promotionn .. or the box top cover
(corner) for that promotion .. there is no suitable physical proof.
Therefore, the standard I provided to our reseller channel, which IBM as
agreed to accept, is the willingness of the buyer to provide an affadavit
that they have a valid license.

In short, IBM and Serenity Systems have gone to the honor system.

Allan.

It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
than to open it, and remove all doubt.

Fra : The Amazing Grace

Dato : 27-04-01 02:55

Allan wrote:

> Nedenstående er nok værd ligge at tygge lidt på for alle - da alle og enhver jo
> åbenbart
> kan lige nu kan købe en 'opgradering' til eCS for $139, selvom de ikke ejer en Warp 4
> i forvejen.

[snip IBMs tillid til registrerede brugere]

Jeg opgraderede selv til eCS for et par måneder siden. (Indtil den
endelige udgave kommer, kører jeg den kun på maskine 2.)

Jeg havde for længe siden købt en brugt Warp 4 privat, men aldrig fået
registreret mig som bruger.

For at få opgraderingsrabatten, måtte jeg dog tage mig sammen, og jeg
var ærlig talt forbløffet over at IBM ikke krævede dokumentation for
noget, heller ikke bekræftelse fra den tidligere ejer, som er en ven af
mig.

Så ja, de går ud fra at alle der vil opgradere i forvejen bruger OS/2.

Mads Hansen

--
It is interesting to note that before the advent of Microsoft Windows,
"GPF" was better known for its usage in plumbing: Gallons Per Flush.