Help needed !!! (pascal program)
Fra : Maarten

Dato : 18-04-01 22:49

Can anyone help me with this program i'm trying to make !?
The idea of the program is to simulatie the throwing of a die.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks !!

-------------------DUTCH-------------------
Kan iemand mij helpen met het maken van een programma !?
Het idee is om een programma te maken wat het gooien van een dobbelsteen
simuleerd.
Alvast bedankt !!
-------------------DUTCH-------------------

Fra : N. Johnson

Dato : 19-04-01 00:45

"Maarten" <mvddonk@wish.nl> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me with this program i'm trying to make !?
> The idea of the program is to simulatie the throwing of a die.
> Can anyone help me?
> Thanks !!

for i:=1 to 12 do i
if (i=12) or (i=2) or (i=3) then you are full of crap
else
you may want want someone to do your work for you;

<G>
Although I'm simple-minded, your post is too simple to have a serious reply.

Fra : Jud McCranie

Dato : 19-04-01 02:52

"Maarten" <mvddonk@wish.nl> wrote:

>Can anyone help me with this program i'm trying to make !?
>The idea of the program is to simulatie the throwing of a die.
>Can anyone help me?

Do you want to show a graphic simulation of throwing a die, or
just generate numbers?

Fra : CFB Software

Dato : 19-04-01 05:58

Randomize; // Call once only to initialise
DieThrow := Random(5) + 1;

Each execution of this statement will assign a random number in the range 1
to 6 to DieThrow if that is what you are trying to do,

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com.au

Fra : M.H. Avegaart

Dato : 19-04-01 08:39

Last time I checked dice had 6 sides (at least the most common ones), so the
code should be:

DieThrow := Random(6) + 1;

Fra : James Roberts

Dato : 19-04-01 13:04

Wouldn't the results of Random(5) be 0 through 5? If so, then
Random(5)+1 would yield 1 through 6.

Bill Braun

Fra : Christian Iversen

Dato : 19-04-01 13:54

> Wouldn't the results of Random(5) be 0 through 5? If so, then
> Random(5)+1 would yield 1 through 6.

No!

Random(x) gives you x possibilities, starting from zero. This is always a
nice way to remember it.. =)

So, for 6 sides, use Random(6)+1, to start at 1.

M.V.H, Christian Iversen

Fra : David C. Ullrich

Dato : 19-04-01 16:00

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:03:53 -0400, James Roberts <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Wouldn't the results of Random(5) be 0 through 5?

Type the word "random" in the IDE. Put the cursor on
that word. Now hit the F1 key.

Fra : CFB Software

Dato : 20-04-01 01:27

Bill,

Thanks for your defence but I'm afraid M.H. Avegaart is correct. Random(n)
returns the result 0 .. n - 1. The problem wasn't quite as simple as some
seemed to think.

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com.au

Fra : CFB Software

Dato : 20-04-01 01:10

Oops - thanks for pointing that out! Forgot to follow my own rule of
actually compiling the code and running it before publishing it - no matter
how simple it might seem.

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com.au

Fra : Dr John Stockton

Dato : 19-04-01 13:05

JRS: In article <3ade7bdb@news.iprimus.com.au>, seen in news:comp.lang.
pascal.delphi.misc, CFB Software <info@cfbsoftware.com.au> wrote at Thu,
19 Apr 2001 14:27:43 :-

>"Maarten" <mvddonk@wish.nl> wrote in message
>> Can anyone help me with this program i'm trying to make !?
>> The idea of the program is to simulatie the throwing of a die.

>Randomize; // Call once only to initialise
>DieThrow := Random(5) + 1;
>
>Each execution of this statement will assign a random number in the range 1
>to 6 to DieThrow if that is what you are trying to do,

Quoting order corrected.

Never play dice with an Australian; theirs are evidently configured
never to show a six.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. jrs@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©

Fra : CFB Software

Dato : 20-04-01 01:17

I'm an East-Ender actually which should explain everything - though have
since been neutralised as an Australian. That's the last time I get trapped
by answering the 'easy' questions!

Chris
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com.au

"Dr John Stockton" <spam@merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> JRS: In article <3ade7bdb@news.iprimus.com.au>, seen in news:comp.lang.
> pascal.delphi.misc, CFB Software <info@cfbsoftware.com.au> wrote at Thu,
> 19 Apr 2001 14:27:43 :-
>
> >"Maarten" <mvddonk@wish.nl> wrote in message
> >> Can anyone help me with this program i'm trying to make !?
> >> The idea of the program is to simulatie the throwing of a die.
>
> >Randomize; // Call once only to initialise
> >DieThrow := Random(5) + 1;
> >
> >Each execution of this statement will assign a random number in the range
1
> >to 6 to DieThrow if that is what you are trying to do,
>
> Quoting order corrected.
>
> Never play dice with an Australian; theirs are evidently configured
> never to show a six.
>
> --
> © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. jrs@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00
MIME. ©
FAQ.

Fra : Barney Tyrwhitt-Drak~

Dato : 19-04-01 13:49

In article <3ADED429.1C9CDC4A@privacy.net>, James Roberts
<me@privacy.net> writes
>Wouldn't the results of Random(5) be 0 through 5? If so, then
>Random(5)+1 would yield 1 through 6.

Yes, but dice in Holland have 6 faces with from 1 to 6 spots on them.
Clearly the all-American super whizzo die with choice of toppings is
different.
--
Barney Tyrwhitt-Drake

Drake Software web site: http://www.tdrake.demon.co.uk

Fra : Bruce Roberts

Dato : 20-04-01 15:34

"Barney Tyrwhitt-Drake" <Barney@tdrake.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Yes, but dice in Holland have 6 faces with from 1 to 6 spots on them.
> Clearly the all-American super whizzo die with choice of toppings is
> different.

I think they call it "house odds" in Vegas :).