help german adsl-user
Fra : Juergen

Dato : 03-08-02 20:04

Sorry, my danish is too poor yet to write in danish, but hopefully
someone can help me.
I just moved to Denmark (in order to learn the language). I ordered
dsl and got the modem and now I have access. But it works completely
different from the way it works in germany.
I have ordered two dynamical IP adresses, but have four machines. My
order was mistunderstood. It will be changed, but takes a while.
Now as I unhook one machine and connect the third or fourth one, it
will not work. Those machines do not get an IP by the modem and when
I go back to the other machine, that one won't work neither. Are the
IP adresses assigned for a limited amount of time??? How long is that
time, I have to wait?

Thanks.

Juergen

Fra : Jesper Skriver

Dato : 03-08-02 20:19

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 19:04:17 GMT, Juergen wrote:

> Sorry, my danish is too poor yet to write in danish, but hopefully
> someone can help me.
>
> I just moved to Denmark (in order to learn the language). I ordered
> dsl and got the modem and now I have access. But it works completely
> different from the way it works in germany.
>
> I have ordered two dynamical IP adresses, but have four machines. My
> order was mistunderstood. It will be changed, but takes a while. Now
> as I unhook one machine and connect the third or fourth one, it will
> not work. Those machines do not get an IP by the modem and when I go
> back to the other machine, that one won't work neither. Are the IP
> adresses assigned for a limited amount of time??? How long is that
> time, I have to wait?

Unless you release your DHCP lease, you will have to wait for it to
expire, before it can be assigned to a new machine, I believe the lease
time is 1 or 2 hours.

--
Jesper Skriver, CCIE #5456
FreeBSD committer

Fra : Juergen

Dato : 03-08-02 20:49

On 03 Aug 2002 19:18:57 GMT, Jesper Skriver <harvest@wheel.dk> wrote:

>Unless you release your DHCP lease, you will have to wait for it to
>expire, before it can be assigned to a new machine, I believe the lease
>time is 1 or 2 hours.

That's what I figured. I just found a statement telling me the 'lease'
time. It is one hour. How can I release the DHCP lease??? I would
like to change between the systems as wanted. For example switch to
linux etc?

Jürgen

Fra : Jesper Skriver

Dato : 03-08-02 20:57

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 19:48:30 GMT, Juergen wrote:
> On 03 Aug 2002 19:18:57 GMT, Jesper Skriver <harvest@wheel.dk> wrote:
>

>>Unless you release your DHCP lease, you will have to wait for it to
>>expire, before it can be assigned to a new machine, I believe the lease
>>time is 1 or 2 hours.
>
> That's what I figured. I just found a statement telling me the 'lease'
> time. It is one hour. How can I release the DHCP lease???

Depends on your DHCP client.

> I would like to change between the systems as wanted. For example
> switch to linux etc?

In windows there is a winipcfg program you can use to release it.

But lookup your dhcp client documentation

--
Jesper Skriver, CCIE #5456
FreeBSD committer

Fra : Ivar Madsen

Dato : 03-08-02 21:10

On 03 Aug 2002 19:57:03 GMT, Jesper Skriver <harvest@wheel.dk> wrote:

>> I would like to change between the systems as wanted. For example
>> switch to linux etc?
>
>In windows there is a winipcfg program you can use to release it.

In WIN XP it is ipconfig /release

--
news.milli.dk fører pga. HD problem på min arbejdsmaskine
kun de grupper jeg selv følger mere eller mindre med i.

Fra : Juergen

Dato : 03-08-02 22:13

Thanks for the hints I got here. Was really helpfull. Now I got it to
work. For addition/completeness the commands for other operating
systems

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 22:09:51 +0200, Ivar Madsen
<news-12-04-02@milli.dk> wrote:

>On 03 Aug 2002 19:57:03 GMT, Jesper Skriver <harvest@wheel.dk> wrote:
>
>>> I would like to change between the systems as wanted. For example
>>> switch to linux etc?
>>
>>In windows there is a winipcfg program you can use to release it.
>
>In WIN XP it is ipconfig /release

ipconfig /release works with Win 2000, too.
SuSE requires a 'rcdhclient start/stop/restart'
other Linux distributions I did not test, but will be similar.

Jürgen

Fra : Mogens Poulsen

Dato : 03-08-02 23:05

mkj.travel@gmx.de (Juergen) wrote:

>That's what I figured. I just found a statement telling me the 'lease'
>time. It is one hour. How can I release the DHCP lease???

For my part I'm running three PCs (win98) on two dynamic ips and two
of the PCs are set to release the lease on shutdown - via Xteq Systems
X-Setup v.6.1 (http://www.xteq.com)

However it's possible to release manually via winipcfg.exe as well
--
Mogens
mpoulsen@tdcadsl.dk