Page looks retarded in in IE 5.0
Fra : Peter Jensen

Dato : 20-03-02 21:09

This page looks great in IE 3.03 and Netscape 4.08, but
looks retarded in IE 5.0. I am way passed being frustrated :(.
Can anyone please shed some light on this?

http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/index.htm

Why won't this page won't even show up at all in IE 5.0?
http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/main/batfaq1.htm

Peter Jensen

Fra : Leslie

Dato : 21-03-02 02:26

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:09:23 +0100, Peter Jensen
<forget_about_it@yahoo.com> wrote:

>This page looks great in IE 3.03 and Netscape 4.08, but
>looks retarded in IE 5.0. I am way passed being frustrated :(.
>Can anyone please shed some light on this?
>
>http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/index.htm

FWIW index.html looks fine in IE 6. Just upgraded from 5 to 6 so
can't comment on what 5 might show.

Please find a word other than 'retarded' to descibe what you don't
like. It's insensitive.

>Why won't this page won't even show up at all in IE 5.0?
>http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/main/batfaq1.htm

It would appear that this page isn't on your server. ??

Leslie
Leslie's Audio Trivia
http://www.bessiebee.com/Trivia/

Fra : Peter Jensen

Dato : 21-03-02 08:11

Followup to: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

Leslie wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:09:23 +0100, Peter Jensen
> <forget_about_it@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >This page looks great in IE 3.03 and Netscape 4.08, but
> >looks retarded in IE 5.0. I am way passed being frustrated :(.
> >Can anyone please shed some light on this?
> >
> >http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/index.htm
>
> FWIW index.html looks fine in IE 6. Just upgraded from 5 to 6 so
> can't comment on what 5 might show.
>
> Please find a word other than 'retarded' to descibe what you don't
> like. It's insensitive.

Oh, sorry. The middle sections should be centered on the page just like
the first and last sections are. The page should look symetrical. I've
tried <center> tags </center> in the cells and align=center in all
possible places. IE 5.0 insists on placing the midddle sections to
the left on the page. Any ideas?

> >Why won't this page won't even show up at all in IE 5.0?
> >http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/main/batfaq1.htm
>
> It would appear that this page isn't on your server. ??

Thanks, I solved that problem. Apparently, the file was corrupted
during the last upload. First time that happened.

Fra : Simon Brooke

Dato : 21-03-02 10:38

Peter Jensen <forget_about_it@yahoo.com> writes:

> This page looks great in IE 3.03 and Netscape 4.08, but
> looks retarded in IE 5.0. I am way passed being frustrated :(.
> Can anyone please shed some light on this?
>
> http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/index.htm

IE 3 and Netscape 4 are very old browsers with rendering engines which
don't even nearly match modern standards. What IE 5 is showing you is
what most people see.

> Why won't this page won't even show up at all in IE 5.0?
> http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/main/batfaq1.htm

Don't know: it certainly should. It's valid HTML and looks fine in
Mozilla 0.9.8

Hang on, what generated this page? Why no source layout? What are all
the strings of character 160 (non-breaking space) about? Still, it's
all OK, there's no silly JavaScript or anything, I can't see any
reason why it should not render.

      ;; Generally Not Used
      ;; Except by Middle Aged Computer Scientists

Fra : Peter Jensen

Dato : 21-03-02 14:12

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Peter Jensen <forget_about_it@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > This page looks great in IE 3.03 and Netscape 4.08, but
> > looks retarded in IE 5.0. I am way passed being frustrated :(.
> > Can anyone please shed some light on this?
> >
> > http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/index.htm
>
> IE 3 and Netscape 4 are very old browsers with rendering engines which
> don't even nearly match modern standards. What IE 5 is showing you is
> what most people see.

- - - - -

> > Why won't this page won't even show up at all in IE 5.0?
> > http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/main/batfaq1.htm
>
> Don't know: it certainly should. It's valid HTML and looks fine in
> Mozilla 0.9.8

> Hang on, what generated this page? Why no source layout? What are all
> the strings of character 160 (non-breaking space) about?

I like to somewhat obuscate the source ;).

> Still, it's
> all OK, there's no silly JavaScript or anything, I can't see any
> reason why it should not render.

I thought it was a corrupted page, but now I'm not sure.

I suspect there may be problems with line breaks within
certain tags between certain items, for example:
<TD ALIGN=center valign=middle colspan=2><FONT SIZE=1 face="MS
Sans Serif, Arial"><SELECT NAME="opt">

Fra : Simon Brooke

Dato : 21-03-02 15:28

Peter Jensen <forget_about_it@yahoo.com> writes:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
> >
> > Hang on, what generated this page? Why no source layout? What are all
> > the strings of character 160 (non-breaking space) about?
>
> I like to somewhat obuscate the source ;).

Yes, so that it overflows some buffer or other in the browser and the
page doesn't render? OK, so that's a browser bug, not technically a
fault in your code; but it isn't clever either.

After all, anyone can run the page through 'tidy' and get it neatly
formatted, so the obfuscation is pointless as well as stupid.

Fra : Peter Jensen

Dato : 21-03-02 16:53

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Peter Jensen <forget_about_it@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Simon Brooke wrote:
> > >
> > > Hang on, what generated this page? Why no source layout? What are all
> > > the strings of character 160 (non-breaking space) about?
> >
> > I like to somewhat obuscate the source ;).
>
> Yes, so that it overflows some buffer or other in the browser and the
> page doesn't render? OK, so that's a browser bug, not technically a
> fault in your code; but it isn't clever either.

I am not trying to be clever, I am trying to make a page tha IE 5.0
is capable of rendering correctly.

> After all, anyone can run the page through 'tidy' and get it neatly
> formatted, so the obfuscation is pointless as well as stupid.

I disagree.

Can anyone stick to the question?
Can anyone answer the question?

Fra : Simon Brooke

Dato : 21-03-02 18:49

Peter Jensen <forget_about_it@yahoo.com> writes:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
> >
> > Peter Jensen <forget_about_it@yahoo.com> writes:

> > > I like to somewhat obuscate the source ;).
> >
> > Yes, so that it overflows some buffer or other in the browser and the
> > page doesn't render? OK, so that's a browser bug, not technically a
> > fault in your code; but it isn't clever either.
>
> I am not trying to be clever, I am trying to make a page tha IE 5.0
> is capable of rendering correctly.

OK, now I'm annoyed anough to go and borrow a colloeague's machine
with Windows on it, and I can state categorically that IE
5.50.4807.2300, in its default out-of-the-box configuration *is*
rendering your page correctly - both your pages, in fact, including
the FAQ:

If you've messed up the settings of your Internet Explorer, that's
hardly our problem.

> > After all, anyone can run the page through 'tidy' and get it neatly
> > formatted, so the obfuscation is pointless as well as stupid.
>
> I disagree.

Hey, you can disagree that the world is round, if you like. The world
will probably not care.

> Can anyone stick to the question?
> Can anyone answer the question?

Yes. You've fucked your config. Next.