The Do-it-Yourself Gunpowder Cookbook, by~
Fra : Erik Prestmo

Dato : 01-11-01 23:25

Paladin Press, ISBN 0-87364-675-4
The Do-it-Yourself Gunpowder Cookbook, by Don McLean

This a smallish, fairly inexpensive book at ca $20, small format and 73 pp.

Contains 8 chapters, an intro, "why" making Black Powder for oneself, and a
short history of powder.

Part one is about making powder at home.
Chapter 2 contains a fairly accurate description on how to make Black Powder
, plus recipes and warnings!
Chapter 3 contains a description of how to make "white" powder, sugar based
substitutes, plus recipes and warnings.

Part two is about securing the ingredients in a survival situation.
Chapter 4 is sources and how to extract saltpeter
Chapter 5 is sources and how to handle charcoal
Chapter 6 is sources and how to get sulphur.
Chapter 7 is how to get sugar from Mother Nature
Chapter 8 is how to get minerals from and out in the nature, i.e. mining.

What is touched upon, but never treated as such, is so-called "brown
powder", an intermediate between BP and modern smokeless powders, that was
used for a very brief period during the late 1800's. This was at the time
held to be more effective, i.e. it was said give higher muzzle-velocity and
pressure, and less smoke. Main difference from BP was a different recipe and
substitution of charcoal with coal from charred straw.

This little book is a good source of info for the curious, and an "how-to"
intro for the budding powder maker. It needs to be said however that those
that want to follow these directions, needs to study their subject more, and
have a thorough understanding of what they do, why, and when.

It should never be forgotten that all Black Powder mills ever started in the
twin kingdoms of Denmark-Norway up until the early 1900's ALL blew up,
sooner or later. Make no mistake about it, handling Black Powder is
potentially very, very dangerous, so be careful!

--

ErikP

Interested in any of these? just send empty e-mail to:
Plinking? : http://hfandrep.tripod.com/Plinking.htm
Swapping? : usnorwegianbrass-subscribe@topica.com
Gunsmithing? : Gun-Smithing-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Concealed Carry?: PocketRockets-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Smith&Wesson? : Smith-n-Wesson-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Suppressors? : Suppressors-and-Scopes-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Fra : Andy P.

Dato : 02-11-01 23:05

Og nu venter vi så bare på, at Net-betjentene skal komme frem fra deres
huller.
Hilsen Andy.

Fra : Erik Prestmo

Dato : 03-11-01 17:38

Andy P. <Timelapse08@hotmail.com> skrev i
> Og nu venter vi så bare på, at Net-betjentene skal komme frem fra deres
> huller.
> Hilsen Andy.

Så "sprenger" vi dem bare da Andy!

Svartkrutt er kraftige saker, og det er MAKTA som rår!

ErikP

Fra : J Nielsen

Dato : 03-11-01 17:21

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 23:24:44 +0100, "Erik Prestmo" <hfandrep@online.no> wrote:

>It should never be forgotten that all Black Powder mills ever started in the
>twin kingdoms of Denmark-Norway up until the early 1900's ALL blew up,
>sooner or later. Make no mistake about it, handling Black Powder is
>potentially very, very dangerous, so be careful!

Brugen af eder og bande-ord var strengt forbudt i datidens krudtmøller,
man mente de kunne udløse en eksplosion! Mere effektivt var nok påbuddet
om at man skulle anvende filt-tøfler i stedet for sømbeslåede træsko.

--
Knæk og bræk

J. Nielsen

Fra : Erik Prestmo

Dato : 04-11-01 11:04

You have me rolling on the floor laughing out loud!

J Nielsen <morgan@post8.tele.dk> skrev i