Sjogren shotgun
Fra : Francesco Mancuso

Dato : 10-05-05 19:37

Greetings!

I am an Italian gun collector, I am in search of information relevant
on the above shotgun made in Denmark, 12ga.

The italian collectors community knows the gun as the first
inertia-actuated shotgun, but it seems that no other info are
available (apart the stampings on the Sjogren guns).

Any additional info will be appreciated, it does include link to
webpages written in danish/swedish/norwegian language (it will be my
care to have them translated).

The information can be e-mailed to my mail-box:
frankmancuso@email.com

Thank you for your kind attention, and best regards.

Fra : Claus Espeholt

Dato : 11-05-05 08:10

I think about 6000 were made in the years 1909-10 but I am not sure.
NB #5972 is for sale just now at www.Lauritz.com
Claus

Fra : Morten Holst

Dato : 12-05-05 13:43

I have friend who has a Sjögren semi-aut 12 ga... I have some information
relevant to it.

what do you need to know?

You can see it here: http://www.strandjaeger.dk/Handel.htm

--
Morten H. Christensen

Korsør/Skælskør strandjagtforening
www.strandjaeger.dk

Fra : Frank

Dato : 12-05-05 19:32

Let me better introduce myself.

I am a member of a group fo "gun nuts", we have just started to keep a
website (http://www.radicaebaionette.org, we already have a lot of
to-be-published original material, and not enough time to publish it).

The website (in italian language, with no commercial return), it is
dedicated to, generally speaking, fine guns, and, in a wider
perspective, to guns that are a cornerstone in modern gun history and
development.
We already received warm (and authoritative) welcome from the gun
community in Italy and abroad for the little work we've alreday done .

As I am going to be the owner of one Sjogren shotgun (well, it seems I
will pay way more than its value in the native country, but this is a
completely different tale), I would like to prepare a webpage on the
gun.
I will indicate the source of the information on the site, but until
now I was able to find just a little of info.

No info on the designer. Was Sjogren his surname? Was he a professional
gun designer? Or was he an amatuer, instead?
Was the gun its private venture? Or did he develop it while he was
working for a gun manufacturing industry?
How many different model of the gun were produced? E.g., standard /
medium high grade, available barrels' lenght / gauge / chokes...
Only some thousands shotguns were made: did the I World War prevent
from a wider production / distribution?
How about the performance of the gun? The first inertia actuated
Benelli shotgun was well known as an all-cartridge shooter.

Of course, I could understand an answer such as "the above info can be
hard to find even in Denmark" (something similar happens in Italy with
certain italian gun designer and manufacturer).

And before I forget: any tricks in taking apart the shotgun will be
greatly appreciated. I am accustomed with mechanics works, but I would
like not to damage a nice piece!

Thank you for your attention, and best regards.

FM

Fra : J Nielsen

Dato : 12-05-05 22:14

On 12 May 2005 11:31:34 -0700, "Frank" <frankmancuso@email.com> wrote:

>As I am going to be the owner of one Sjogren shotgun (well, it seems I
>will pay way more than its value in the native country, but this is a
>completely different tale), I would like to prepare a webpage on the
>gun.
>I will indicate the source of the information on the site, but until
>now I was able to find just a little of info.

Frank, I wish I could tell you more about the Sjøgren shotgun, but as you
already found out; information is sparse. I remember a Danish hunting
magazine featured an article about the gun, maybe a decade ago. I have the
issue in question lying around somewhere... If I stumble upon it, I'll scan
the pages if there's anything of interest. Maybe translate some of the
highlights - I'm not making any promises though... Perhaps some of the
readers in here can come up with something?

A friend of mine had two Sjøgrens back in the Eighties. They were fun guns
to shoot, but would sometimes fail to reload if you pointed the muzzle too
high. This was a common Sjøgren problem, caused by a too weak return-spring
and the heavy slide.

The Sjøgren was quite popular among Danish waterfowl hunters because of the
five shot capacity, but was gradually replaced by the more sturdy FN Browning
A5. In 1931 guns shotguns with more than two shot capacity was banned for
hunting, and the interest for automatic shotguns fell abruptly. It wasn't
restored until Remington and Beretta introduced cheap gas-repeating shotguns
more than thirty years later. They quickly gained a large user group among
clay targets shooters, and waterfowlers.
--
Knæk og bræk

J. Nielsen

Fra : Frank

Dato : 12-05-05 19:40

Claus Espeholt wrote:
> I think about 6000 were made in the years 1909-10 but I am not sure.
> NB #5972 is for sale just now at www.Lauritz.com
> Claus

Thank you for your help.
>From the site I was able to copy the words "halvauto" and "gevaer" and
the right letters for "Sjogren", for a better search on the web.
It seems that the same shotgun (5972) was sold one year before on the
same site. May be the owner was not happy with it.
Best regards.
FM

Fra : Francesco Mancuso

Dato : 13-05-05 14:58

J Nielsen wrote:

> I remember a Danish hunting
> magazine featured an article about the gun, maybe a decade ago. I
have the
> issue in question lying around somewhere... If I stumble upon it,
I'll scan
> the pages if there's anything of interest. Maybe translate some of
the
> highlights - I'm not making any promises though...

However, many many thanks for your willingness!
In case you will be able to find and scan the article, please let me
know, I will provide you a mail-box address that has more room
available (100 Mb) than mine (10 Mb).

> Perhaps some of the readers in here can come up with something?

I hope so. I stay tuned on this newsgroup!

> A friend of mine had two Sjøgrens back in the Eighties. They were
fun guns
> to shoot, but would sometimes fail to reload if you pointed the
muzzle too
> high. This was a common Sjøgren problem, caused by a too weak
return-spring
> and the heavy slide.
>
> The Sjøgren was quite popular among Danish waterfowl hunters because
of the
> five shot capacity, but was gradually replaced by the more sturdy FN
Browning
> A5. In 1931 guns shotguns with more than two shot capacity was
banned for
> hunting, and the interest for automatic shotguns fell abruptly. It
wasn't
> restored until Remington and Beretta introduced cheap gas-repeating
shotguns
> more than thirty years later. They quickly gained a large user group
among
> clay targets shooters, and waterfowlers.

In the meantime, thank you for the above additional useful infos!

Francesco

Fra : Odense

Dato : 21-05-05 11:42

"Francesco Mancuso" <frankmancuso@email.com> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> I am an Italian gun collector, I am in search of information relevant
> on the above shotgun made in Denmark, 12ga.
>
> The italian collectors community knows the gun as the first
> inertia-actuated shotgun, but it seems that no other info are
> available (apart the stampings on the Sjogren guns).
>
> Any additional info will be appreciated, it does include link to
> webpages written in danish/swedish/norwegian language (it will be my
> care to have them translated).
>
> The information can be e-mailed to my mail-box:
> frankmancuso@email.com
>
> Thank you for your kind attention, and best regards

Hi
One up for sale.

http://www.lauritz.com/s_j/4.asp?ItemID=497118

--