Hunden der slog ejeren ihjel (mest på enge~
Fra : Nina El Falaki

Dato : 19-05-03 18:25

Her kommer lidt mere reel oplysning om episoden:

Dette er en e-post mottatt fra raserepresentanten for Staffordshire
Bullterrier i England, Mr. David Levy, vedrørende den tragiske
hendelsen hvor en SBT tilsynelatende skal ha drept sin egen eier.
Man har vel lært at man skal alltid være kritisk til hva man leser i
pressen.

Alexander Andresen

The death of George Dinham in Wandsworth on Friday 9th May (reported
in today's
media) was a tragedy. What is perhaps worse for his family is the
current speculation and mis-reporting of the circumstances of his
death. At best, some of the reporting is being "economical with the
truth", at worst it is intentionally distorted and trying to spread
unnecessary and unjustified fears to hundreds of dog owners.

It is very difficult to ascertain the FACTS of the evening although
the Daily Mirror article (
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12963073&method=full&
siteid=50143&headline=DAD%20KILLED%20BY%20PET%20DOG)
does seem to contain a great deal of detail. There are also various
theories being promoted both in the media and on the internet. Much of
this is probably ill-informed. We do not yet know what actually
happened.

Some "facts" can be identified:

- It appears that Mr Dinham's dog Ben may indeed have been a
Staffordshire Bull Terrier. This will not be known for certain unless
and until a qualified dog judge has seen Ben but the issue is probably
irrelevant.

- The actual cause of Mr Dinham's death will not be known until the
Coroner has reported his findings.

- It is reported that Mr Dinham occasionally suffered from epileptic
fits. There are at least two previous reported cases of people
suffering from epileptic fits being killed by their own pet dog. One I
am pretty sure was in Belgium or Holland a couple of years ago and the
other in the UK in November 2001. (See
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/1156305.stm).

- There is talk of Ben having "attacked" a 9 year-old girl just 3
months ago. The facts seem to indicate that he jumped up, did not
bite, but that the girl suffered a few minor scratches as a result of
being pushed over. i.e. the incident appears to be irrelevant to the
current situation.

- We are told that Ben was always walked on a muzzle. This appears to
be because he was not good with other dogs and nothing to do with any

- Mr Dinham's own family are repeatedly quoted as saying that George
and Ben were devoted to one another and that it can only have been a
tragic accident. Indeed Mr Dinham's brother says that Ben would nip
George to help bring him around after an epileptic attack.

The police (we are told) are apparently trying to decide whether Ben
should be put down. Obviously that would be illegal without Mr
Dinham's heirs' permission. The DDA does not apply since the incident
happened in a private dwelling and anyway, they can hardly claim under
section 5 that they cannot locate the owner. Unless the owners
(presumably Mr Dinham's brothers) agree to Ben being destroyed then it
would require a difficult court case and who exactly would be
prosecuted? What is surely more important is for animal behaviourists
to be allowed to test Ben and see if they can ascertain the actual
trigger that caused him to bite Mr Dinham.

We are already hearing of Staffords being rejected by families scared
by this story. You can be sure that if the Coroner eventually rules
that Ben was in fact not the actual cause of Mr Dinham's death, or
that Ben is not a SBT it will not warrant even a single column inch
tucked away on page 17.

Finally, IF Ben is a dangerous to the public then he should be
destroyed - irrespective of what breed he is. Would this week old
story have been given such prominence (Mirror, Sun, Guardian, BBC TV,
BBC news, many Internet news
sites)
if the dog had not been described as a "Staffordshire Bull Terrier"?
Did YOU see any coverage when 25 year-old "young mother" Kirsty Ross
was killed in what appear to be identical circumstances by her pet
Doberman in 2000, never mind front page headlines and extensive
radio/TV coverage?

The news story should be "what actually happened to George Dinham" and
"are there lessons to be learned from his tragic death". It's a shame
that once again "professional journalists" seem to have missed the
most important issue. Will they never learn?

David Levy

--
Nina El Falaki
Feca Somali & Bengal Cats

Fra : Punish the deed, not~

Dato : 19-05-03 21:36

>Man har vel lært at man skal alltid være kritisk til hva man leser i
>pressen.
>
>Alexander Andresen

,,,,,,,,,,,,Det er så sandt som det er sagt, og så håber jeg bare at
folk er lige så interserede i at læse dette som der i at læse
skrækhistorierne i EB , dette er lidt sværere læsning og kræver lidt
mere af læseren i forhold til EB-historierne , men giver en større
indsigt i hvad der er sket og hvordan forholdene har været.

..........Læs bla at hundens race ikke er fastslået endnu, men at det
iøvrigt ingen rolle burde spille :

>klip
- It appears that Mr Dinham's dog Ben may indeed have been a
Staffordshire Bull Terrier. This will not be known for certain unless
and until a qualified dog judge has seen Ben but the issue is probably
irrelevant.
>klip

..........Og at manden højst sansynligt havde et epileptisk anfald, og
ikke som EB skriver bare lavede en pludselig bevægelse:

>klip
- It is reported that Mr Dinham occasionally suffered from epileptic
fits. There are at least two previous reported cases of people
suffering from epileptic fits being killed by their own pet dog. One I
am pretty sure was in Belgium or Holland a couple of years ago and the
other in the UK in November 2001. (See
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/1156305.stm).
>klip

..........Hunden havde IKKE overfaldet en 9årig pige som EB skriver !
men hoppet op af hende så hun fik en rift :

>klip
- There is talk of Ben having "attacked" a 9 year-old girl just 3
months ago. The facts seem to indicate that he jumped up, did not
bite, but that the girl suffered a few minor scratches as a result of
being pushed over. i.e. the incident appears to be irrelevant to the
current situation.
>klip

..........Det der skræmmer mig mest er når folk tror på alt hvad Ekstra
Bladet skriver .

Fra : Kim Vestergaard Horn~

Dato : 20-05-03 10:24

> .........Det der skræmmer mig mest er når folk tror på alt hvad Ekstra
> Bladet skriver .

Det der skræmmer mig, er at der stadig er nogen der køber Ekstra Bladet!

/Kim

Fra : Nina El Falaki

Dato : 20-05-03 19:37

Læses kun for tegneserien Mis og Fister.

--
Nina El Falaki
Feca Somali & Bengal Cats

Fra : Freedom

Dato : 21-05-03 08:45

> Det der skræmmer mig, er at der stadig er nogen der køber Ekstra Bladet!
>
> /Kim

JA; men så længe der er nogle som sluger den ene løgne historie efter den
anden så vil de have det godt, der er mange som køber de blade, det er ikke
kun ekstra bladet!

Alle historie har mere i sig end man ser, selv i TV avisen har der været
grelle eksempler på dette, hvis folk blot var noget mere kritiske når de
læser eller høre noget så ville det hjjælpe gevaldigt...

Iben