Nordic Heraldry
Fra : ralf.hartemink@wur.n~

Dato : 18-12-02 18:33

The civic arms (vaben, vapen, vaakuna) of towns, villages, provinces
and regions can be found at

http://www.ngw.nl

images per country :
Norway : 475
Iceland : 109
Greenland : 22
Denmark : 290
Sweden : 400
Finland : 540
Estonia : 101

Additions and background information is welcome !

Ralf

Fra : Inger Eik

Dato : 18-12-02 22:56

ralf.hartemink@wur.nl.NOSPAM wrote:
> The civic arms (vaben, vapen, vaakuna) of towns, villages, provinces
> and regions can be found at
>
> http://www.ngw.nl
>
> images per country :
> Norway : 475
> Iceland : 109
> Greenland : 22
> Denmark : 290
> Sweden : 400
> Finland : 540
> Estonia : 101
>
> Additions and background information is welcome !

I tried to send you something through the website's comment facility, but to
me it looked as if it didn't work. Anyway, please correct something under
Norway, municipalities: The area where I live is named Øvre Eiker, which is
correct in the alphabetical index, but on the sub-page it says 'Øvre Eiken'.
Further in the text there is the sentence: 'Eiken means oak'. This sentence
should read: 'Eiker means oaks'.

Actually the translation of the name Eiker is wrong, historically seen. The
original name used to be something like 'Eikjar', which means fields, arable
land (åker). So those who decided upon the municipal coat of arms had
forgotten about the original meaning and chosen the one which today sounds
right. There was a lot of dicussion about this when the coat of arms was
published some 20 years ago.

--
MVH
Inger

(Remove .spam and .thanks from my address to reply)

Fra : Kuippana

Dato : 19-12-02 10:43

ralf.hartemink@wur.nl.NOSPAM wrote:
> The civic arms (vaben, vapen, vaakuna) of towns, villages, provinces
> and regions can be found at
>
> http://www.ngw.nl
>
> images per country :
> Norway : 475
> Iceland : 109
> Greenland : 22
> Denmark : 290
> Sweden : 400
> Finland : 540
> Estonia : 101
>
> Additions and background information is welcome !
>
> Ralf
You could change ? characters in names to umlauts.
ä = ä = ä
ö = ö = ö
Ä = Ä = Ä
Ö = Ö = Ö

Other codes for iso8859-1 charset you'll find here
http://www.ramsch.org/martin/uni/fmi-hp/iso8859-1.html

Fra : Leif B. Kristensen

Dato : 19-12-02 10:52

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:43:11 +0200, Kuippana
<kuippana@hotmail.eisikanautaa.com> wrote:

>You could change ? characters in names to umlauts.
>ä = &auml; = &#228;
>ö = &ouml; = &#246;
>Ä = &Auml; = &#196;
>Ö = &Ouml; = &#214;
>
>Other codes for iso8859-1 charset you'll find here
>http://www.ramsch.org/martin/uni/fmi-hp/iso8859-1.html

If you include the line

in the <head> section, all special characters should appear correctly in
any browser if the OS supports the Latin-1 (or ISO-8859-1) character
set. That means just about any computer currently in use.

regards,
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
http://solumslekt.org/