(von) Haxthausen
Fra : Michael King

Dato : 01-10-02 15:52

Hi,

My wife's 3G grandfather, Christian Ludvig von Holten (1774-1829), was
governor of St, Thomas 1815-1818, and again, for a short while, in
1820. Records indicate that his wife was Juliane Dorothea von
Haxthausen, probably born about 1780, but where she was born and who
were her parents I have no real idea.

There are several graves and plaques with the von Holten name to be
found in St. Thomas, but little record of (von) Haxthausen. However,
the probate records show the following:
West Indies Chancery, 1771-1773 ; Vol. 641, FHL #0426768, item 2
29 Jul 1791 Arnold Ludvig von Haxthausen & Wife Catharina, St. Thomas
16 Mar 1791.

and:
7 Sep 1798 Catharina de Wint, widow of General Adjutant Haxthausen, St.
Croix 11 Jun 1798.

So we know Arnold Ludvig died before 11 june 1798.

Their daughter, Anna Marie Haxthausen (1794-1804, St. Croix) married,
in 1802, Christian Ludvig's brother, Carl Henrik (1775-1862). It looks
possible that Arnold Ludvig was also the father of Juliane Dorothea.

Another(?) Arnold Ludvig occurs in the 1787 census for Callundborg:
CALLUNDBORG KIOBSTAED 1787 Census
film 38988 item #20 pg 209-
TORVET
Arnold Ludvig Haxthausen 49 e-1 kammer herre og oberist lieutenant
ved Siell.Regmt Rytter.

I believe, however, that this must be the Arnold Ludvig mentioned in
the 1945 DAA, 1738-1813, married to Vibeke von Adeler and his father
was Frederik Gotschalk von Haxthausen (1705-1770). The Arnold Ludvig on
St. Thomas was probably born in 1740, so who was _his_ father?

Most of the other (von) Haxthausen people I have found link to the
family featured in the 1945 volume of the DAA. However, I cannot make a
connection between that family and my wife's relatives.

I suppose my next best step would be to get the LDS films of the St.
Thomas church records. My hope is that Juliane Dorothea von Haxthausen
was either born on the island or got married there and any records will
give me some more clues to her father.

While I do that, does anyone have any ideas on why the St. Thomas
branch of the (von) Haxthausen family didn't appear in the 1945 DAA?

mvh,

Mike King.

To reply directly, first remove the "nospam" from the email address
above. In case the email address doesn't appear, it is
"miking@nospamsympatico.ca"