Software in Danish
Fra : Pismo

Dato : 05-11-01 12:49

Hello.

I am French, and I have a Powerbook. And would like to know if I could find
an Hotline server (or Carracho) with Danish softwares in order to convert my
girlfriend to the Mac instead of the PC

Thanks for your help.

Pismo

Fra : Jesper Haaber Gyllin~

Dato : 05-11-01 14:11

Pismo <egiziano@netcourrier.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am French, and I have a Powerbook. And would like to know if I could find
> an Hotline server (or Carracho) with Danish softwares in order to convert my
> girlfriend to the Mac instead of the PC
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Pismo

If I understand you correctly you want to install Danish software on a
Mac ? Is that the OS (Operating System) or is it applications
(Photoshop, Netscape, GoLive and so on) ?

Can't she use a Mac with US OS and US applications ??

There's a lot of applications which aren't translated into Danish.

--
Ciao Jesper )

http://www.gylling.net/

Fra : Pismo

Dato : 05-11-01 14:19

dans l'article 1f2ekiz.1yr19se1i3hq2xN%jesper@gylling.net, Jesper Haaber
Gylling à jesper@gylling.net a écrit le 5/11/01 14:10 :

> If I understand you correctly you want to install Danish software on a
> Mac ? Is that the OS (Operating System) or is it applications
> (Photoshop, Netscape, GoLive and so on) ?

Both. So I can use it with my French part, and a reboot and everythings in
Danish.

> Can't she use a Mac with US OS and US applications ??
I have also, but it is nicer to have your own native language when you are
discovering a new environment.

> There's a lot of applications which aren't translated into Danish.

Some yes, and I need only some few ones (AppleWorks, Office Pack, Mac
OS,etc). I have IE.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Pismo

Fra : Per Erik Ronne

Dato : 05-11-01 18:20

Pismo <egiziano@netcourrier.com> wrote:

> > Can't she use a Mac with US OS and US applications ??

> I have also, but it is nicer to have your own native language when you are
> discovering a new environment.

Danes are so used to English that it is frequently easier with English
software. Otherwise, you'll have to guess what ordinary terms are
translated into ...
--
Per Erik Rønne
Frederikssundsvej 308B, DK-2700 Brønshøj, DENMARK, EUROPEAN UNION

Fra : Erik Richard Sørense~

Dato : 06-11-01 01:51

Hej Per

I think that 'Pismo' is right. You should think of what he says - that she
comes from another platform, - probably the Wintel, where names and terms are
different from the Mac terms and names. In that case learning a new computer
platform it _is_ better to learn that in native language - as long as you
aren't a 'proffessional user' - i.e. in the computer business.

Per Erik Ronne wrote:

> Pismo <egiziano@netcourrier.com> wrote:
>
> > > Can't she use a Mac with US OS and US applications ??
>
> > I have also, but it is nicer to have your own native language when you are
> > discovering a new environment.
>
> Danes are so used to English that it is frequently easier with English
> software. Otherwise, you'll have to guess what ordinary terms are
> translated into ...

mvh. Erik Richard

--
K.M.L. Denmark by Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC
Edwin Rahrsvej 20.3.03, DK-8220 Brabrand, Denmark

Fra : Per Erik Ronne

Dato : 06-11-01 05:24

Erik Richard Sørensen <kml.ers@mail1.stofanet.dk> wrote:

> I think that 'Pismo' is right. You should think of what he says - that she
> comes from another platform, - probably the Wintel, where names and terms are
> different from the Mac terms and names. In that case learning a new computer
> platform it _is_ better to learn that in native language - as long as you
> aren't a 'proffessional user' - i.e. in the computer business.

You mean like the fact that "fil" in the Windows world is called "file"
in English in both the Win and Mac world, but for some weird reason
"arkiv" in the Danish-speaking Mac world?

Fra : Erik Richard Sørense~

Dato : 06-11-01 15:39

Hej Per

Yes, this among others, but there are other reasons like the use of the name and
term 'Path' (sti). This you don't use in classic Mac OS'es, - but if you are going
to use the new Mac OS X, then these names and terms are back again.

- And you could also take the term 'Justify' = 'justering' in a textprocessor. In
many Wintel programs this is in Danish called 'Udslutning' - WordPerfect is a
horrible example here.

Fra : Per Erik Ronne

Dato : 06-11-01 17:50

Erik Richard Sørensen <kml.ers@mail1.stofanet.dk> wrote:

> Yes, this among others, but there are other reasons like the use of the
> name and term 'Path' (sti). This you don't use in classic Mac OS'es

Unless you have been using Macintosh Programmer's Workshop, MPW.

Fra : Pismo

Dato : 06-11-01 12:10

dans l'article 3BE733D3.283A9F3C@mail1.stofanet.dk, Erik Richard Sørensen à
kml.ers@mail1.stofanet.dk a écrit le 6/11/01 1:50 :

> Hej Per
>
> I think that 'Pismo' is right. You should think of what he says - that she
> comes from another platform, - probably the Wintel, where names and terms are
> different from the Mac terms and names. In that case learning a new computer
> platform it _is_ better to learn that in native language - as long as you
> aren't a 'proffessional user' - i.e. in the computer business.
>
> Per Erik Ronne wrote:

It is mainly because for a private (my girlfriend here) is always easier to
dicover something in your language. Of course she is reading English, but
sometime some of the words in the menu are not extremely explicit in English
and are more in your language.

Furthermore, I have Mac OS X and I prefer to use the French version, and I
am searching for a new CD with the Danish version, so she could open her
session in Danish (I don't have the option with my version).

So do you know a Caracho server or Hotline server where I could found danish
softwares. Or if you are living in Albertslund or Copenhagen, we could meet
with my Powerbook and an øl

Fra : Erik Richard Sørense~

Dato : 06-11-01 16:25

Hei Pismo

Yes, so I understood your first message, and I agree with you that not all English
terms are quite as understandable as the Danish, if you're used to use a Danish
system on another platform.

I don't know anything about a 'clean' Hotline nor Carracho server with Danish
software only, but a guy on Fyn - Mogens Thyregod - has set up his site with
Danish software only and links to the original English versions too, so this site
might be of great help both to you and your girlfriend. The link to Mogens' site
is: <http://homepage.mac.com/mothsoft/>.

I don't live in Copenhagen but in Aarhus, so that's a bit too far to go for a beer
-). [and btw. I do prefer French redwine in stead -)].

Hope you find something that you can use.
Cheers, Erik Richard

Fra : Jesper Haaber Gyllin~

Dato : 06-11-01 21:29

Pismo <egiziano@netcourrier.com> wrote:

> dans l'article 3BE733D3.283A9F3C@mail1.stofanet.dk, Erik Richard Sørensen
> à kml.ers@mail1.stofanet.dk a écrit le 6/11/01 1:50 :
>
> > Hej Per
> >
> > I think that 'Pismo' is right. You should think of what he says - that
> > she comes from another platform, - probably the Wintel, where names and
> > terms are different from the Mac terms and names. In that case learning
> > a new computer platform it _is_ better to learn that in native language
> > - as long as you aren't a 'proffessional user' - i.e. in the computer
> > business.
> >
> > Per Erik Ronne wrote:
>
> It is mainly because for a private (my girlfriend here) is always easier
> to dicover something in your language. Of course she is reading English,
> but sometime some of the words in the menu are not extremely explicit in
> English and are more in your language.
>
> Furthermore, I have Mac OS X and I prefer to use the French version, and I
> am searching for a new CD with the Danish version, so she could open her
> session in Danish (I don't have the option with my version).
>
> So do you know a Caracho server or Hotline server where I could found
> danish softwares. Or if you are living in Albertslund or Copenhagen, we
> could meet with my Powerbook and an øl
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Pismo

I like beer a lot ! )