!!! ADVARSEL !!! Webstar 3 & 4 kan hackes
Fra : Bjarne D Mathiesen

Dato : 05-11-03 01:53

Jeg modtog dette i dag i TidBits nyhedsbrevet :

Classic Mac OS Servers Exploited by Spammers
by Chuck Goolsbee <goolsbee@forest.net>

The Internet's spam volume has increased exponentially over the
past four months. How? Spammers have found a new way to send their
spam, in far greater volumes than previously thought possible.
Unfortunately, and perhaps for the first time, Macs are a small
part of the problem.

When it comes to worms, viruses, and other forms of network abuse,
including spam, the Macintosh community frequently sees itself as
an island of immunity in a Windows-dominated world of insecurity.
Mac OS X has a pretty good track record so far, and the previous
versions of the Classic Mac OS were seemingly near perfect with
regard to network security, though many experts, including myself,
would tell you that the Classic Mac OS's invulnerability was due
more to pure luck than intentional design.

That luck has now run out. The Mac OS Internet server community,
once thought to be immune from exploit, has indeed become part of
the spam and network abuse problem. How could such a thing happen?
The same way every other operating system used as an Internet
server has been exploited by evildoers: a fateful combination
of software shipped "open by default" and system administrators
failing to take the time to understand and configure their servers
properly in order to prevent abuse.

What's the specific culprit in this situation? It used to be that
spammers relied primarily on open mail relays, which are mail
servers that accept mail from anyone on the Internet without
restriction and relay it on to the final destination. As system
administrators and mail server developers have become alert to
the idiocy of a mail server set to relay mail without requiring
authentication of some sort, spammers have changed their tactics
and started relying on a new tool: the open proxy server.

**What Is a Proxy Server?** A proxy server is a piece of software
that facilitates Web surfing by users on an internal network,
usually one that's protected from the outside Internet by a
firewall. In essence, the proxy server sits between the Web
and all the users on the internal network, sending out all the
requests for Web pages from its users, receiving the pages back,
and passing them along to the appropriate users. Institutions use
proxy servers to increase performance (because the proxy server
can store a copy of retrieved Web pages for other users on the
internal network to access without going out to the Internet) and
for content filtering purposes (since the proxy server can refuse
to return requested Web pages that contain sufficiently naughty
words; schools often used proxy servers as content filters).

You would think that proxy servers are handy for enforcing
security, and in fact, they can be, if configured and deployed
properly by a competent network administrator. Unfortunately,
those conditions are rarely met. Well-meaning software vendors,
such as (but not limited to) Microsoft in the Windows market, and
StarNine (now owned by 4D Inc.) in the Macintosh market, shipped
proxy servers as part of their "Web Server Suites" starting in the
late 1990s. It was a logical move because customers were clamoring
for these features, but in the interest of simplifying setup and
making everything work out of the box, these suites were usually
configured to install and start the proxy server by default, and
worse, to allow access by anyone, not just users on the internal
network. Those decisions, now easily seen as mistakes, are what
brings us up to today. Now, open-by-default proxy servers exist
all over the Internet. A portion of those are Macs.

How many of these Macintosh Internet servers exist on the
Internet? Google, the all-seeing eye of the Internet, can give you
a glimpse with the link below, which searches for the default page
installed by 4D's WebSTAR 4. Most users delete or overwrite this
file, so the list on Google should show only a small fraction of
the actual number of WebSTAR 4 servers that may or may not have
the included proxy server turned on by default. Don't forget to
click the "repeat the search with the omitted results included"
link!

<http://www.google.com/search?q=Server+Suite+4+Test+Page>

**How Are Open Proxies a Security Risk?** The problem with open
proxies is that anyone on the Internet can use them as go-betweens
to perform just about any action related to Internet access.
(To see how you'd configure proxy servers for a number of types
of Internet traffic in Mac OS X, check out the Proxies tab in
the Network preference pane.) The most frequent exploit of an
open proxy is to bypass local content filtering - ironically, this
exploit basically uses one proxy filter to bypass another. In the
many open proxy logs I have examined, 95 percent of the hits fall
into this category.

Spammers seem to have discovered open proxies sometime in the
last year, probably as the number of mail servers allowing open
relaying started to drop dramatically. Some of the recent
Windows/Outlook virus outbreaks were really just Trojan horses
with hidden open proxy code as the true payload. Noisy, high-
profile worms like Blaster kept everyone, including the media,
distracted while the other worms managed to create, within the
space of about two weeks, hundreds of thousands (or perhaps more)
of open proxy servers that could be trivially exploited later on.
Next, the spammers had to find all the open proxies their worms
had created, so scanning programs searched out the available
proxies.

It was at this point that the Macs were found, since those
scanning programs, while looking for their own captive open
proxies, also ran across old Macs running WebSTAR 3 and WebSTAR 4
with latent, unused, and unknown proxy software. And since the
Macs were equally as useful, the spammers cataloged and starting
exploiting them to send spam.

Once a spammer has access to an open proxy, he can do any or all
of the following with complete anonymity, while using somebody
else's bandwidth:

* Send mail from unsecured form-to-mail scripts on that, or any
other server

* Send mail via local SMTP servers since the source will be a
trusted, local IP address

* Craft mail with forged Received headers

* Connect to thousands of throwaway "freemail" (Hotmail, Yahoo,
etc.) accounts per minute and send untold millions of spam
messages

* Create traffic on pay-per-click systems

* Create traffic to generate high page ranks/search engine results

* Generate distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack traffic

* Run brute force password cracks on Web sites or email servers

* Run buffer-overrun cracks aimed at any URL-accessible service

In the last week, I've spoken with several people on the
development team for the version of WebSTAR that first shipped
with a proxy server, including the former product manager, and
the developer who wrote the proxy server code. I asked them why
they'd decided to bundle a proxy server into WebSTAR.

In answering, they gave the example of a school, where a teacher
would ask a class to visit a URL, and everyone would download the
same pages at the same time, resulting in slow performance. A
local proxy server would access the remote Web site once and
distribute the content to everyone locally, preventing the class
from overwhelming the school's bandwidth, which back in those days
was frequently limited to a 56 Kbps frame relay or 144 Kbps ISDN
line, or even dedicated modem connections in many places. They
also cited bandwidth-constrained places such as Australia or New
Zealand as containing customers who needed proxy servers to reduce
bandwidth consumption and costs. These are very real situations:
when I was working in Europe in the mid-1990s it was common for
ISPs to run proxies (often called caching servers back then) to
save on cross-Atlantic bandwidth costs.

When talking to the WebSTAR folks, I noted that we never installed
WebSTAR's proxy component on any of digital.forest's servers, but
I was finding it on some of our client-owned co-located servers,
so I asked how it could have been installed without somebody
knowing it. The former product manager explained how a new install
or an upgrade could have installed the proxy component by default.
Also, under certain conditions that I have yet to determine, the
proxy was open by default, leading us to where we are today, with
old Macintosh Web servers being exploited by spammers.

My story of how these servers were being exploited was met by with
a mixture of wonder and regret: wonder that anyone would dream of
doing stuff like this, and regret for not anticipating it. I've
shared their reaction, since I don't think many people, if anyone,
could have seen this coming. Seven years ago, when these products
were being developed, spam was mostly an annoyance on Usenet, not
the email scourge it has become today.

**How Did I Discover These Exploited Macs?** Earlier this year,
I started hearing my peers in the network operations community
talking about open proxy abuse. Intrigued, I read some excellent
papers presented at conferences by researchers investigating
the issue.

<http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/proxies/open-proxy-problem.pdf>
<http://spamlinks.port5.com/proxy.htm>
<http://www.westdam.com/spamlinks/proxy.htm>

So I've known about the problem for a few months, but I didn't
realize how close to home it was. At digital.forest, we sell
Internet colocation services, and we bill clients who exceed
certain bandwidth thresholds as measured at the Ethernet switch
layer (which records all the traffic to and from the computer,
rather than looking at just one service, like HTTP). But since
most clients who use lots of bandwidth are running high-volume
Web servers, they usually compare their HTTP access logs to their
usage bills. Last month, one of digital.forest's clients noticed
a large enough difference between our network usage bill and the
amount of bandwidth usage reported in his Web server logs to
request an audit. I expected the additional protocols of FTP and
SMTP mail to explain the discrepancy, but instead I discovered
that their WebSTAR server's proxy was the source of the extra
bandwidth usage. My curiously piqued, I started to investigate
further, and a post on a network abuse newsgroup alerted me to
a few more open proxies in our network (though none running on
the TidBITS servers, I'm happy to say).

<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=
59c3aad4.0310192058.6683a403%40posting.google.com>
<http://chuck.forest.net/images/tidbits/port8000.txt>

In searching this published list, I noted over 100 that included
WebSTAR's default proxy port of 8000, and a few with obvious
Mac-related DNS names, so I began contacting their webmasters to
let them know about their vulnerability. I've talked with quite
a few webmasters, but there's no way I can track down and call all
the people whose Macs are on this list. Worse, this list contains
only a small fraction of the potential open proxies on Macs out
there, and worse yet, because these Macs were so easy to set up
and have been so reliable, many of the people who did the initial
work have long since moved on, leaving others with less technical
experience in their place.

**Are You Part of the Problem?** Luckily, it's easy to tell if
you're running an open proxy in WebSTAR, unlike the worm-created
Windows open proxies, which are invisible and which don't log
their activities. In WebSTAR 3 or 4, check to see if the WebSTAR
Proxy Plug-in is installed in the WebSTAR folder, inside the
Plug-ins folder. Also be sure to check any folders that may be
inside the Plug-ins folder. To disable the WebSTAR Proxy Plug-in,
just remove it from the WebSTAR folder hierarchy and restart
WebSTAR. Before you do that, however, switch to the WebSTAR
application and choose WebSTAR Proxy Log from the Plug-ins
menu (the screenshot linked below shows what it looks like).

<http://chuck.forest.net/images/tidbits/ProxyLogMenu.gif>

WebSTAR then opens a window showing proxy server activity,
which you can use to check what's currently happening (see the
screenshot linked below). The top of the window shows current
active connections, the total number of connections, a total
number of bytes sent, what the cache efficiency percentage is
(this last one is useless information when the proxy is being
exploited), and the maximum connection limit. The window's bottom
portion lists a scrolling log of current activity. In the example
screenshot linked below, I've altered IP numbers, domains, and
URLs, but you can see what's going on. There are two logins to
two different Yahoo Mail accounts, one search engine hit, and
three hits on adult Web sites, all in under two seconds:

<http://chuck.forest.net/images/tidbits/proxylogwindow.gif>

If you don't want to disable your proxy server because it's
serving a useful purpose for your organization, you can secure
it to prevent spammers and others from using it. The WebSTAR Admin
application provides a graphical interface for restricting both
the "to" and "from" sides of the proxy to fit your needs. Consult
the WebSTAR manual for details.

Please note too, that you risk being rejected, blocked, or
blacklisted if your network is a source for spam. As system
administrators on the Internet starts getting tough with proxies,
as they did with open relays, your risk of hurting your legitimate
traffic by being blacklisted will only increase.

If you think this issue is only a concern when spammers start
misusing your network, you should also consider the penalty of not
taking action quickly. You could find your network addresses added
to blackhole lists, which are compiled by a number of well-meaning
individuals around the world who constantly scan and test for open
proxies, even before they're exploited. These blackhole lists,
in turn, are used by Internet service providers, academic
institutions, and companies to block email, sometimes with
undesired effects. TidBITS Contributing Editor Glenn Fleishman's
mail server was once blacklisted because of the problem I note
in this article, and it took him weeks to have his mail server
removed from all the blackhole lists. He even had to appeal to
the chairman of the board of one large ISP after their published
procedures left him still blacklisted. So an open proxy isn't
just a problem for you or your bandwidth bill: it can be a messy
cleanup that restricts the ability of everyone on your network
to send email.

**What about Mac OS X?** WebSTAR V, which is the current Mac OS
X-compatible version of WebSTAR developed and sold by 4D, does
not include a proxy server, so it's not vulnerable to open proxy
exploits. Nonetheless, the folks at 4D are doing the right thing
and have already started alerting customers to this vulnerability
in the older versions of WebSTAR.

<http://www.4d.com/products/webstar.html>

Apple's Mac OS X Server has never had a proxy server included
by default either. I spoke with the product manager, and he
said adding one has been considered, but I suspect after our
conversation that Apple will think twice before doing so, or
take careful steps to secure it prior to shipping.

**How do we resolve this situation?** What remains now is hard
work, and this article is just the beginning. I've spent every
waking hour over the last two weeks investigating this problem
on our network, reporting the problem to the abuse departments
of the largest ISPs, and contacting many webmasters who are
running open proxies without realizing. My work is having an
effect already. Some of the data I shared with AOL helped them
complete their investigation of a "known criminal spammer," and
Yahoo is shutting down thousands of email accounts based on the
information I shared with them from exploited open proxy logs.

But I can't do this alone. We must all work to spread the word,
farther than even TidBITS can reach, to other Macintosh news
sites, and to individuals who may be running open proxies. My hope
is that open proxies on all platforms can eventually be shut down
everywhere, and that the Macintosh community can lead the way.
Fortunately, and true to form, performing these tasks on a Mac
is far easier than on other platforms.

If you are a webmaster or system administrator, take a look at
your servers and secure them if necessary. If you are a network
administrator I strongly suggest you read Joe St. Sauver's
"Open Proxy Problem" PDF (linked previously) for a complete,
well-written analysis of the issue. Then make use of the suggested
tools to search out open proxies on your network. If you find
one that has been keeping a log (WebSTAR's proxy server does
by default), you can greatly assist other network operators
and abuse desks in shutting down their open proxies, and even
more importantly, track and shut down spammers and other
network abusers.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of the bad news that spammers could
be exploiting our older Macs, but now that we're aware of the
problem, working to resolve it will also provide the satisfaction
of stemming the flood of spam.

PayBITS: Chuck deserves a medal for identifying this problem,
so let's all reward him with a few bucks via PayBITS!
<http://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=goolsbee%40forest.net>
Read more about PayBITS: <http://www.tidbits.com/paybits/>

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa

Fra : Peter Kiil

Dato : 05-11-03 02:11

Bjarne D Mathiesen - macintosh@mathiesen.info on 05/11/03 1:52 wrote:

> Jeg modtog dette i dag i TidBits nyhedsbrevet :

Det er postet lidt tidligere idag, og så er der vel ikke tale om at hacke.
Der er jo fri adgang, så enhver skoleknægt kan gøre det uden at hacke noget
som helst.

--
/peter

http://spacerent.dk - Webhosting fra 49,-/md.

Fra : Franz Berliner

Dato : 05-11-03 09:07

Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> **Are You Part of the Problem?** Luckily, it's easy to tell if
> you're running an open proxy in WebSTAR, unlike the worm-created
> Windows open proxies, which are invisible and which don't log
> their activities. In WebSTAR 3 or 4, check to see if the WebSTAR
> Proxy Plug-in is installed in the WebSTAR folder, inside the
> Plug-ins folder. Also be sure to check any folders that may be
> inside the Plug-ins folder. To disable the WebSTAR Proxy Plug-in,
> just remove it from the WebSTAR folder hierarchy and restart
> WebSTAR. Before you do that, however, switch to the WebSTAR
> application and choose WebSTAR Proxy Log from the Plug-ins
> menu (the screenshot linked below shows what it looks like).

Foruden at slå den helt fra kan man jo også styre hvem der har adgang
til Proxyen i menuen "Allow/Deny", hvis man har brug for den kan man jo
så sørge for at det kun er egne IP'er der har adgang.

Fra : KJ

Dato : 05-11-03 09:53

Franz Berliner <stuff@kampp.dk> wrote:

> Foruden at slå den helt fra kan man jo også styre hvem der har adgang
> til Proxyen i menuen "Allow/Deny", hvis man har brug for den kan man jo
> så sørge for at det kun er egne IP'er der har adgang.

Under WebSTAR 3.0.1 kan man ikke disable proxyen. Man skal desuden
huske, at opsætningen af allow/deny til proxyen ikke helt følger
formatet for allow/deny for webserveren. Husk altid at starte med en
"Deny *" i proxyen.

KJ

http://www.CetusGPS.dk

Fra : Lone Schmidt

Dato : 05-11-03 20:42

KJ <news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk> wrote:

> Franz Berliner <stuff@kampp.dk> wrote:
>
> > Foruden at slå den helt fra kan man jo også styre hvem der har adgang
> > til Proxyen i menuen "Allow/Deny", hvis man har brug for den kan man jo
> > så sørge for at det kun er egne IP'er der har adgang.
>
> Under WebSTAR 3.0.1 kan man ikke disable proxyen. Man skal desuden
> huske, at opsætningen af allow/deny til proxyen ikke helt følger
> formatet for allow/deny for webserveren. Husk altid at starte med en
> "Deny *" i proxyen.
>
> KJ
>
> http://www.CetusGPS.dk

Er der nogle der er friske på at oversætte det til dagligsdansk??!!

MOGENS! ;-D
--
Venlige hilsner
og grumme go´hygge

Fra : Mogens Thyregod

Dato : 05-11-03 22:48

Lone Schmidt <maillone@netscape.net> wrote:

> KJ <news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk> wrote:
>
> > Franz Berliner <stuff@kampp.dk> wrote:
> >
> > > Foruden at slå den helt fra kan man jo også styre hvem der har adgang
> > > til Proxyen i menuen "Allow/Deny", hvis man har brug for den kan man jo
> > > så sørge for at det kun er egne IP'er der har adgang.
> >
> > Under WebSTAR 3.0.1 kan man ikke disable proxyen. Man skal desuden
> > huske, at opsætningen af allow/deny til proxyen ikke helt følger
> > formatet for allow/deny for webserveren. Husk altid at starte med en
> > "Deny *" i proxyen.
> >
> > KJ
> >
> > http://www.CetusGPS.dk
>
> Er der nogle der er friske på at oversætte det til dagligsdansk??!!
>
> MOGENS! ;-D

Ja ja Lone, det betyder at man skal huske at tildele/nægte rettigheder,
hvis man anvender en proxyserver som filter mellem ens eget netværk og
det store stygge internet

--
mvh.
Mogens Thyregod